Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have a Daphne mailing address but live in the county?

Residents of the City limits are required to get a rabies vaccination certificate .  The Baldwin County Animal Shelter requires animals to have a rabies certificate in the county. The Baldwin County Animal Control Center located at 15050 Co. Rd. 49 in Summerdale. Please check with the county, they may have different requirements. For more information call (251) 972-6834.

Dead Bird Testing

Alabama does test dead corvids (includes crows, magpies & ravens). Birds that have died within the last 24 hours are collected and submitted to the state laboratory. Persons finding a dead corvid should use gloves when handling the carcass. In Daphne, contact your local Health Department for further information.

Who do I call for dead animal removal?

Daphne Animal Control does pick up dead animals, if the animal is south of Main Street. Call Public Works Mowing Department for dead animals on city streets/right of way at (251) 621-3182, if the animal is north of Main Street.

You may call the Department/Agency listed below for this service outside the city limits.

Dead animals on the county streets- right of way in Baldwin County call 972.6834

Can I bring my deceased animal to you?

The Daphne Municipal Animal Shelter does not pick up dead animals from the private resident or accept them from the public for disposal.

What shall I do if there is an Animal Emergency after hours?

In Daphne, call (251) 621.9100 to report an Animal Emergency. Daphne Police Officers will respond after hours only to the following emergency situations:

  • Stray injured animals, other than wildlife. For injured wildlife, call (251) 621.9100.
  • Livestock that are loose (251) 621.9100.
  • Stray dogs that are in the act of being aggressive or biting, or have already bitten someone (251) 621.9100.
  • Stray dogs in the act of attacking livestock (251) 621.9100.

My neighbor’s dog barks continuously day and night.  What can I do?
Noise complaints are one of the most difficult complaints we encounter, and each case is handled a little differently depending upon the situation.  Please be advised that it may take several complaints in order for you to see a difference, so your persistence and your patience in this process is greatly appreciated.   Here are some general guidelines on how animal noise complaints are handled:

If the dog is barking during the day, contact the Animal Control office.  We need the physical address where the dog is located to take action.  For the first complaint, a warning letter is usually sent to the owner of the dog.  For a second or third complaint, an Animal Control officer is usually sent to the location to educate the owner and provide enforcement.  If the owner isn’t home, a warning notice or notice to animal owner is posted on the door of the home.  The officer must witness the barking in order for a citation to be issued.  The citation can include fines.

If the barking persists, you may want to consider filing a “Second Party Citation.”  This document will describe your complaint and must be signed by you.  By filing a Second Party Citation, you agree to testify in court regarding the incident.    The owners of the dog will be required to go to court and fines may be involved.  Few Second Party Citations are issued in Daphne each year, but it is certainly an option available to you.  For more information about how to file such a citation, contact Animal Control.

If the dog is barking at night or during the week, AND Animal Control has already sent a warning letter and been called to the residence twice, the Daphne Police Dispatch may be called at (251) 621-9100.  If an officer is available, he may be sent to the residence to respond to the complaint.  If the officer witnesses the dog barking, a citation may be issued.

My dog barks continuously.  What can I do?
There could be a number of reasons why your dog is a barker, but the most likely reason is that she is lonely or bored, especially when left for long periods of time. All dogs are “pack animals” and like to be inside the house when their humans are home. Most behavior problems such as barking, digging, chewing and hyperactive behavior are caused from leaving a dog in a backyard day and night.  Try increasing the dog’s interaction with the family and her exercise, and also provide her with chew-toys and other things to keep her busy during the day.  Some individuals find that bringing a dog in at night with the family helps keep the dog happier and reduces noise.  If the dog tends to be very active or you worry about her having free access to the house, you can try keeping her in a crate at night (preferably in a room where there is a person) and then letting her out first thing in the morning when you feed her. We suggest an anti-bark collar.

What can I do about dogs roaming loose in my neighborhood?
Daphne does have an ordinance pertaining to loose dogs.  Owners of dogs are required to keep their dogs confined to their property in an enclosed area or on a leash at all times.  If a loose animal is acting strangely, exhibiting aggressive behavior or has bitten someone, call Animal Control, or after hours, call the Police Dispatch at (251) 621-9100.  If you see dogs roaming in your neighborhood, contact Animal Control, and every attempt will be made to send an officer to the scene.  If the officer witnesses the dog roaming loose, the dog will be impounded or the owner will receive a citation.  If the dog has returned to the residence before the officer arrives on the scene, the dog cannot be impounded, however, a warning notice will be posted at the residence.

What should I do if a dog or other animal bites me?
Seek medical attention and call Animal Control at (251) 621-2831 or (251) 621-9100 to report the bite.  By law, animal bites must be investigated for everyone’s protection.  Bite investigation does not automatically mean the animal is impounded – it may mean that vaccinations  are verified.  Depending upon the severity of the incident, additional actions may be required.

What do I need to do if my dog bites someone?
The incident should be reported to Animal Control.  An investigation will be conducted.  Depending on the situation (the severity of the bite, the behavior of the dog and whether the dog has a history of aggressive behavior) the investigating officer will require the dog to be quarantined or take additional action steps. Your cooperation in the process is greatly appreciated and helps everything go much smoother.

I found an injured deer, what do I do?
Contact Animal Control at (251) 621-2831 in the city limits of Daphne, or  if you are in the county call Sheriff’s Office.

There is a dead animal on the road in the city limits of  Daphne what should I do?
Requests to pick up dead animals on roadways in Daphne are handled by both Animal Control & Public Works, depending upon the location in the city. If, at any time, a dead animal is creating a traffic hazard, you should call 911.

  • On Highways – (such as North of Highway 64) If the dead animal is on the side of/in the road (and not creating a traffic hazard), call at (Public Works 621.3182).
  • On Highways – (such as South of Highway 64) If the dead animal is on the side of/in the road (and not creating a traffic hazard), call at (Animal Control 621.2831).
  • On County Maintained Roads – Call Baldwin County Animal Control at (251) 937-0202 to remove the dead animal.

Why does it cost so much to adopt an animal at your shelter?
Fees for adopting animals from the Animal Control shelter cover cost for spay or neutering.  If a person were to obtain these services separately (for example if they were given a free puppy and had to purchase these services on their own) the cost would actually be much higher.   At the Daphne Animal Control shelter, we do our best to keep the fees as low as possible.

What should I do if I know of an animal that is being abused or neglected?
Contact Animal Control immediately!  Daphne City Animal Control takes all cases of suspected animal abuse or neglect seriously.  Although anonymous tips are helpful, signed written statements from witnesses are most helpful and are needed for any legal action to take place.  While it is sometimes possible for Animal Control officers to observe conditions of animals from a vantage point of the property, this can be difficult or impossible if the property is large or animals are kept behind buildings.  Cooperation of concerned individuals is always needed.

There are a number of signs to look for when determining if animal abuse or neglect may be occurring.  Things to look for include:

  • General conditions where the animals are kept – Do the animals have inadequate shelter?  Do they lack food and water?
  • Do any of the animals appear sickly or extremely thin?
  • Do the environmental conditions seem unhealthy for the animals?  For example, are animals standing in or living with large amounts of feces?
  • If it is a breeding facility, are the mother and father dogs available for viewing at the facility and are they healthy?
  • Be suspicious if a breeder insists on meeting you somewhere other than where the animals are kept.
  • Any intentional animal fighting (such as cock fighting) is illegal and should be immediately reported to Animal Control.


Can anyone have horses or other livestock on their property in Daphne?
The property must be zoned as agricultural and livestock must have been grandfathered in, and there must be at least one acre of land for livestock to legally be on the property.  To see if your property is zoned as agricultural, contact Planning Services at (251) 621-3184. 

Can I bring my pet and put it up for adoption at the shelter?
The Daphne City Animal shelter is primarily a holding and adoption facility for stray pets, and for pets that are confiscated due to animal neglect or abuse. The shelter does not accept owned animals for the purpose of adoption.

However, if there is a family crisis that requires that the pet be immediately relinquished, the shelter may accept the pet if there is space available. Under this circumstance, the shelter staff will discuss the pet’s temperament and medical history with you and will make the pet available for adoption only if it is determined that it is a healthy, adoptable animal. Unfortunately, there is a chance that it may ultimately have to be euthanized if it does not get adopted and the shelter runs out of room for other incoming animals.

We always recommend that you take responsibility for finding a new home for your pet rather than relinquishing it to a shelter. As soon as you determine that you need to find a new home for your pet, you should notify friends, family members, co-workers, your veterinarian and neighbors and they may be able to help you. Shelter staff and local rescue groups can also give you advice on the best way to find your pet a good new home.

What should I do if I see an animal on my property during the day that is acting like it is sick?
However, signs of a sick (rabid) animal that you see during the day may be lack of fear, aggressiveness, paralysis or partial paralysis (particularly in the hindquarters) and disorientation. An animal unable to stand as a result of rabies may make walking movements while lying on its side (paddling). If you see these signs, call our office and we will send an officer to pick it up.

How can I trap a feral (wild) cat in my neighborhood?
We can rent you a humane trap and provide instruction on how to trap the cat. In Daphne you can call Animal Control and rent a cage by placing a deposit until you return the cage, at (251) 621-2831 and they help you in contacting the Fairhope Cat Coalition TNR (Trap Neuter Return) Program.

Do you have a foster home program?
Yes. We use approved foster parents to care for adoptable pets that: 1) need to be in a more home-like environment, 2) may need medical attention and 3) need to be moved elsewhere due to lack of space at the shelter. If you are interested in becoming a foster parent, see our Foster Care page. We are always looking for foster parents, so please contact us if you would like to foster a pet.

Why do I have to vaccinate  my dog-he never leaves my property?
Regardless of a dog’s life style, the State of Alabama requires that all dogs be vaccinated against rabies . The primary reason is to prevent the spread of rabies. While not currently wide-spread, rabies is still prevalent in the wild and is a threat that requires constant vigilance. Animals that transmit rabies (like skunks & bats) are very capable of getting into yards and homes, despite what owners may do to prevent it, and could bite and infect your dog. The cost of a rabies vaccination is a small price to pay for this protection. The main reason for licensing is that it is your dog’s “call home”. If they stray from home, they may get picked up by Animal Control or by the public.   95% of animals in shelters have no form of identification. Additionally this can assist in a situation when an animal is injured and needs veterinary treatment.

How long does it take for an Animal Control officer to respond to my call?
How quickly an officer can respond to a call depends upon the following main factors:

  1. How many officers are available to respond
  2. What other higher priority calls need to be serviced first and
  3. Current location of officer.

Daphne Animal Control has two officers available most days to respond to calls within the city. Calls that are given highest priority involve an immediate danger of injury or harm by an animal to a human or other animal. Unfortunately, calls regarding dogs that are stray in a neighborhood and are not posing an immediate danger generally cannot be responded to immediately due to other priorities.